What should I do if I’ve been hit by a Drunk Driver?

Getting into a car accident can be a very terrifying and difficult experience. This can be even more challenging if you are in an accident with a drunk driver. If you are in an accident and the other party is intoxicated, there are several steps that you need to do to ensure that you are physically OK and legally represented.

Call the Police
When you are in accident with another party, the first thing that you should do is call the police. Do this before you call a personal injury attorney, or anyone else. While there are situations in which it could be easy to settle the accident without police intervention, if it is clear that the other driver is intoxicated, the best thing to do would be to contact the local authorities. If the other driver is till legally intoxicated by the time the police arrive they will likely be arrested. In most cases, the fact that the other driver was intoxicated will mean that they are found to be the guilty at-fault party in the case. Depending on the damage to your car, the police may also be able to help you get it towed to a local service station, where they can help repair your car, and fix things like broken LED glass and other items..

Go to Hospital
Once the police have arrived, the next thing that you should do is go to the hospital. While you may feel OK after the accident, you should go into the hospital for a full evaluation. They will be able to make sure that there is not any internal bleeding and will likely run a few tests on your brain to make sure there is not risk of concussion. Going through this medical process will provide you assurance that you are healthy. It is important that you keep any documents related to your injuries and medical costs.

Contact Insurance Company
If you are physically able to do so, the next step to follow would be to contact your insurance company. You should report the accident to your insurance company within a day of your accident. The insurance company will be able to work with you to figure out the extent of your damage and other costs that you have incurred. They will then be in contact with the insurance company of the other driver. In an ideal situation, the other driver will have an insurance policy that covers all of your costs.

Legal Representation
In auto accidents that involve a drunk driver more legal work may be necessary. In some cases, the case will go on to a criminal court as well as to a civil court. In the criminal court you will likely need to be a witness to the case. It may be helpful to have your own attorney present when you are either testifying or being deposed.

While you may not need legal help for the criminal proceedings, you will definitely need one for the civil process. If the other driver is not able to provide insurance to cover your costs, your only option will be to sue the other driver and take them to court. Having a NYC personal injury lawyer assist with this process will be very helpful. The NYC personal injury attorney will be able to work with the defendant to come up with a solution for repayment.

In situations in which the other party is not complying with your requests, you may need to go through the legal process. Your attorney will be able to prepare your case and present it to the court. This can likely include proving the costs that you have incurred related to the accident and make a case for additional punitive damages. Once both sides of the case have been presented, the judge will likely make a judgment that will require the defendant to make full restitution. This can include setting up a payment plan or developing another way to repay you.

In conclusion, getting into an auto accident with a drunk driver can be a very scary situation. If you are involved in an accident with a drunk driver, one of the first things that you should do is to call your attorney. A NYC personal injury law firm will be able to provide you with a range of service that will help to ensure that you are properly represented in the legal system.

Leave a comment