Beer brewing is an exciting and mind opening process, and the best thing is that home brewing isn’t hard. It does require patience and some attention, but with so many beer making kits available in the market these days, beer making is no longer complicated.
How is beer made?
To start brewing your own beer at home, it is important to understand the process of extract home brewing. Beer is made using the sugars from malted grains, and malt extract is exactly that. It is sugar extracted from malted grains. You can easily purchase malt extract in either dry or liquid form, known as DME and LME. The brewer utilizes the malt extract to maximize time and efficiency in extract brewing.
Yeast is the life blood of your beer. Yeast is known for its property to consume sugar. When yeast consumes sugar, it produces two major by-products including CO2 and alcohol. You wouldn’t want to use any kind of sugar when making beer because malt sugars are ideal for their chemical make-up.
The beginning homebrewing equipment kit by Brewer’s Best contains some basic items as listed below:
- 5 Gallon “Ale Pail” Primary Fermenter with Drilled & Grommeted Lid
- 5 Gallon “Ale Pail” Bottling Bucket with Bottling Spigot
- Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
- Auto Siphon
- Bottling Set-up
- Instruction Manual
- Hydrometer and Test Jar
- Bottle Brush
- Twin Lever Capper
- Liquid Crystal Thermometer
Most beginning home brewing kits cost around $100 and provide all the basics you need to get started for a reasonable price. You can always add more equipment to the kit according to your liking. Home brewing is recommended for those who want to start a new hobby. Just add the ingredients in a pot and you’re good to go. Different home brewing recipes can be tried and once you get the hang of it, you can move on to the advanced home brew equipment kit.
The Advanced Homebrew Beer Kit by Homebrew Supply comes with everything you need to make some of your very tasty brews. This kit is ideal for those who are ready to take it to the next level of beer brewing.
Instructions to make your own beer
When using the basic homebrewing kit, you need to follow certain instructions to make your own beer. Some of the steps you need to follow are listed below:
- Remove crushed grains from the package and put them in a muslin bag.
- Tie the bag at the end and allow maximum circulation.
- Place the bag in at least 1 gallon cold water, bringing to slowly to approximately 160 degrees.
- Hold temp for 10 minutes before you discard grain.
- Add gypsum if water is soft.
- Then add Malt Extract and stir well to dissolve.
- Bring it to a boil and add Cluster Hops.
- Continue to boil for 55 minutes.
- Add Hallertau Select Hops and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour unfermented beer slowly into fermentation vessel that contains enough cold water to total 5 gallons.
- Let the temperature drop to approximately 80 degrees.
- After taking hydrometer reading, sprinkle or “pitch” yeast on top.
- Affix cover and airlock to fermenter and stabilize temperature at approximately 67–72 degrees.
- Activate airlock within 24 hours.
- As fermentation slows down by the end of day 7, the clearing stage starts to begin.
- Siphon beer into clean carboy, affix airlock, and cover to keep light out.
- Let clear for 7 more days.
- Once the beer is ready for bottling, boil priming sugar in about 1 cup of water for approximately 1 minute.
- Add it to the bottom of bottling bucket.
- Siphon beer into the same bucket.
- Fill bottles to 1″ from top of bottle and cap.
- Store beer at 67–70 degrees for 7–10 days minimum.
Read to find out about The Law Offices of Paul S. Geller in Pasadena, California. Get Competent Legal Representation for your DUI or Criminal Defense cases.